Here’s the conundrum. You’ve got limited budget and just couple of people in-house with marketing experience. Which digital marketing services do you outsource, in order to provide the time and space for your own people to focus on what they do best?
In busy companies it can be hard to find the head-space to create a strategy for blending outsourced and in-house digital marketing. Get it right, though, and it can feel like you’ve doubled your marketing resource overnight – and improved the quality and creativity of your digital marketing output. Want to know how? The Outsource Your Marketing team regularly offer guidance on selective outsourcing, so here’s our ‘off the shelf ‘ strategy for time-poor businesses.
Digital Marketing Outsourcing Strategy
First things first, you’ll need to be clear about the range of tasks that need doing, the amount of budget available for outsourcing, and what your in-house marketing team can handle. Knowing their strengths is vital because you want to maximise resources for those, whilst relieving them of tasks they find challenging or have no experience in.
Digital Marketing Services to Outsource
- Web Design. If you’re planning a new website, a branding refresh, or you’re integrating eCommerce software, we would recommend you consider outsourcing this job. It requires specialist skills and the tech is constantly evolving. Outsourcing agencies use designers who are constantly working on new projects in a competitive sector, so their skills are cutting edge.
- SEO. If you’re a B2B company, your website will be doing the heavy lifting for you. In which case you need a Search Engine Optimisation specialist to keep your site visible and competitive. This isn’t an area you can dip in and out of. Unless one of your team can afford to dedicate themselves to SEO full-time, you’d be well advised to outsource your SEO.
- Pay-Per-Click. Outsourcing your paid advertising isn’t a silver bullet. PPC isn’t a digital marketing service you can hand over and wait for revenues to rise. Any third-party paid advertising specialist will need to work with someone in-house to develop the best strategy for your business. What they can do, though, is relieve you of the time-consuming testing, bidding, tweaking, and positioning which is so much a part of successful PPC.
To Outsource or Not to Outsource?
The following are dependent on your in-house expertise. If your in-house team feel comfortable with them, keep them in house. If not, find a specialist to outsource the task to.
- Email Marketing Campaigns. This is something most in-house teams feel confident with. There are plenty of platforms, such as MailChimp, that make the process simple. Automation can be difficult to set up initially, so you might want to outsource a set up and tutorial, after which the in-house team should be able to manage it themselves.
- Social Media. This is a time-consuming task which needs patience, creativity and stamina. If a member of the in-house team is enthusiastic about building a community of followers, and is able to commit time each day, it is an excellent option to keep in-house.
- Copy Writing. This is a skill that all members of marketing teams are expected to have, so it makes sense to keep everyday tasks such as blogging, creating content for SM posts, and email marketing in house. There is an argument to be made for outsourcing copy writing on larger projects such as: white papers, eBooks, website copy or webinar/podcast scripts.
Strategy and Analytics
If you have a limited budget, digital marketing strategy and analytics should properly remain in-house. Even so, you may find that you benefit from having ‘extra’ members of the team who work across sectors and could, therefore, provide useful insights as a result. All outsourcing work should be goal driven, so it’s important that your team measures the value of their work and understands how to identify where customers are coming from, and what is driving them to your site.
About Working With Outsource Your Marketing
OYM is a digital marketing agency that does the work you don’t have time for. We can do as little or as much as you need us to do, and we’ll work for you only when you need us. Our team is made up of web designers, SEO specialists and digital marketers who work across a range of sectors and are hugely experienced.